Do you wish you could find the tools, papers, or holiday decorations when you want them?
If so, you’re not alone!
In fact, 54% of Americans say they are overwhelmed with the amount of clutter they have, and 78% have no clue what to do with it!
If you find yourself in those shoes, you need to find an affordable way to increase your storage space.
And that’s where 12x20 storage sheds come in.
At Pequea, we’ve seen the way 12x20 sheds can revolutionize an individual’s life, and we want you to experience that too.
Let’s find out how!
The extra storage spaces that any shed offers is valuable in itself - but the benefits don’t stop with better organization. Let’s take a look at a few of them!
Benefits Of A 12x20 Shed
No one wants to waste money - and as a result, we hesitate to buy things that don’t benefit us. Thankfully, you don’t need to worry about that with storage sheds!
1 - Boost Your Property Aesthetics
Some products are useful, but not very pretty - like wire shelving, for example. Others are beautiful but have little practical value.
There’s nothing wrong with items that are only beautiful or only practical. But you’ve struck gold when you combine the two.
And that’s exactly what a 12x20 shed gives you.
These sheds aren’t a monstrosity in your backyard but are large enough to store a significant amount of “stuff.”
And with all the shed styles available, you can choose something that fits in perfectly with the existing style of your property. Add a few custom shed touches like shutters or a unique window. and you have a truly charming shed on your property.
2 - Organize Your Life
We all have the dream: a garage with plenty of space for a vehicle or two, and a workstation in the back, neatly organized so you can get to work on home projects.
But is that reality? Not for most people!
In fact, a home organization study done by Moen found that garages were the most cluttered space in most American homes.
That’s a problem! Especially because 52% of homeowners want to have a garage their neighbor's envy.
Thankfully, a 12x20 storage shed can help you organize your stuff and free up space in places that matter to you.
3 - Foster Better Mental Health
Here’s the bottom line:
We are a mess when our lives are a mess!
That’s probably why a study done in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin showed disorganization is stressful for the brain.
Women who described their homes as “cluttered” or full of “unfinished projects” were more likely to be depressed and fatigued as opposed to women who described their homes as “restful” and “restorative.”
The researchers also found the women with cluttered homes had higher levels of cortisol (a hormone your body releases when you’re under stress).
So, finding a place that allows you to declutter your home will lead to you experiencing less stress and having brain space for the tasks that are really important to you.
Ways To Use a 12x20 Shed
Thankfully, a storage shed can be used for much more than organization.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Love gardening? Use it as a potting shed or outdoor garden shed.
- Make a she-shed or man cave.
- Add a spare room - especially if you choose a shed with a loft.
- Create a playroom for rowdy children.
If you want to take a closer look at creative ways to use a garage or shed, read our blog: 4 Creative Ways To Use A Prefab Garage.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Shed
No matter how you choose to use your storage shed, you want to make sure you use the space wisely. Let’s take a look at how you can do that.
What Can You Fit In A 12x20 Shed?
First of all - what can you even get in your new shed?
You can use a 12x20 shed for storing small items like tools and boxes. However, with 240 square feet, you can keep some sizable things as well.
For example, you could store motorcycles, golf carts, lawn tractors, wheelbarrows, and snowmobiles (though not all at the same time!)
Even longer items like kayaks and tall ladders can fit inside a 12x20 storage shed as long as they are under 20’ in length!
If you are a DIY person, you could easily set up a table saw, band saw, or drill press to make a shed of this size a highly functional workshop!
Tips For Organizing A Shed
Do you need a few organizing tips? Try these!
- Use a magnetic bar for tools
- Hang a pegboard for tool storage
- Use clear plastic totes for things in long term storage so you can see what’s in them at a glance.
- Don’t stack bins on top of each other - otherwise, the bottom containers are hard to get to. Instead, construct a storage tower so you can grab what you want
- Use high space for long term storage
If you want more practical tips you can implement right away to organize, read our blog on maximizing storage space!
Choosing The Right Shed Style
The nice thing about storage sheds is that they come in various styles - so you can find what uniquely fits you.
But how do you go about choosing the right style for your property? Let’s take a look!
Common Storage Shed Styles
First, let’s examine a few of the most popular storage shed styles.
- The workshop shed is built in a classic style - it has an A-frame roof and double doors with a lock. It’s perfect as a tool or garden shed.
- The carriage shed has a classic elegance with its adorable saltbox roof and windows with shutters.
- A cape cod shed is built with gable overhangs and includes a single door with a lock, making it perfect for home offices.
- The lean-to shed has one tall wall and one short wall, with a slanted roof spanning the distance. The result is a modern look and a building that is well suited for being close to structures.
- A mini barn shed is as classic as it gets. The traditional gambrel roofline makes it a very effective storage space.
Which Shed Style Is Best For You?
Being aware of common shed styles is a good place to start - but it doesn’t necessarily help you choose which is best for you.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself so you can choose the perfect style of building.
- What is the current style of your home, garage, and yard? Choose something that fits in with and complements your already existing style.
- What are your storage needs? If you want to store a motorcycle or lawn tractor, a mini barn shed is a great option. If you are looking for a space for use other than storage, a cape cod shed can work well.
- Do you need a shed with a loft? A loft gives you much more usable space, but styles like a carriage shed or lean-to shed don’t work well with this option.
Get some inspiration by checking out 12x20 shed plans.
Are you ready to pull your car into the garage and have space for entertaining overnight guests?
It’s time to invest in a 12x20 shed. You won’t regret this addition to your property!
At Pequea, we’ve been building storage sheds for over 40 years, and we’d love to put our years of experience to work so you can get a shed that is perfect for you.
Contact us today, or find a dealer near you. We look forward to hearing from you!